Director of EnergyEmployer: Los Angeles Cleantech Incubator (LACI)
Job Location: Downtown Los Angeles
The Los Angeles Cleantech Incubator (LACI) is a private non-profit organization creating an inclusive green economy by unlocking innovation (through working with startups to accelerate the commercialization of clean technologies), transforming markets (through partnerships in transportation, energy and sustainable cities) and enhancing communities (through workforce development, pilots and other programs). Founded as an economic development initiative by the City of Los Angeles and its Department of Water & Power (LADWP), LACI is recognized as one of the most innovative business incubators in the world by UBI. In the past six years, LACI has helped 73 portfolio companies raise $184M in funding, $220M in revenue, create 1,700 jobs, and deliver more than $379M in long term economic value. Learn more at laci.org.
The Director of Energy’s primary objective is to build, connect and support the clean energy entrepreneur ecosystem throughout Santa Barbara, Ventura, Los Angeles and Orange Counties. The Director of Energy will effectively convene and link entrepreneurs, researchers, universities, technologists, engineers, municipalities, corporations, and local and county government staff to assess the regional energy needs and encourage and accelerate clean energy technology commercialization to address those needs.
The Director will engage clean energy researchers and entrepreneurs, build a robust network of business and technical services referrals, and catalyze a portfolio of early stage clean energy program entrepreneurs. This position requires relationship development and management as well as a familiarity with the clean energy sector and clean energy entrepreneurship.
What You’ll Do
- Manage a large, multi-year grant from the California Energy Commission: Including budgeting, project management, deliverables management, event management, generating thought leadership, and reporting
- Design and manage a multi-stakeholder program: Across portfolio companies, energy partners, funders and government agencies. Manage industry partnership relationships, including utilities and energy companies. Recruit key industry stakeholders, including selling partnerships
- Serve as the in-house subject matter expert on clean energy: Assist with building a framework for evaluating clean energy sector business models, challenges, opportunities and sub–sectors. Define energy technology priorities for the Los Angeles Cleantech Incubator (LACI) portfolio.
- Assist with the Incubation program and our Portfolio Companies: Support LACI portfolio companies in the clean energy space and build relationships and channels for them to access their customer base. Advise on diligence and selection process for LACI portfolio companies.
Why You’re Right for the Job
- You have a highly collaborative and inclusive approach to leadership. You naturally build strong relationships internally and externally. You establish credibility with a wide-range of leaders and employees across the organization as a trusted colleague and mentor.
- Communication is key. You know how to synthesize and translate complex information for a broad spectrum of audiences, from technologists and engineers, to investors, to cross collaborative team members.
- You are adaptable, strategic and agile. You naturally anticipate future consequences and trends, and incorporate them into the organizational plan, and when things (inevitably) don’t go according to plan -- you know how to roll with the punches.
- You’re a master project manager and capacity builder. You know how to operationalize program strategy and develop the plans, processes and people to execute, ensuring the project runs smoothly and goals are met.
- You’re PRO-LACI. you’re a proactive, pro-environment, pro-solutions professional that is dedicated to making the world a cleaner, safer, better place to live in through clean technologies. In addition, you have a commitment to inclusion, or the need for solutions to support all people in a community regardless of race, religion, gender, immigration status, or ethnicity.
Basically, we want to know you can get the job done. This means you have:
- Proven experience in Director position or similar role
- Bachelors in Marketing, Communications, Business, or related field- Masters a plus
- Demonstrable competency in strategic planning and business development
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and ability to build and maintain relationships
- Outstanding organization and leadership abilities
- While LACI is a non-profit, it more closely resembles a start-up with a rapidly changing environment. The successful employee will need to play multiple positions well, be comfortable in a results-oriented culture, and not require day-to-day hand holding to be successful.
This is a full-time position, starting immediately. LACI operates out of the La Kretz Innovation Campus, in the bustling Downtown LA Arts District. Since we are rapidly growing, you will be getting in on the ground floor at LACI, with the opportunity to evolve with us and shape your future here.
In addition to working on a campus with other innovators, we offer industry competitive benefits including: paid holidays, vacation/sick time, 401(k) plan, and paid parking. We also support alternative transportation with a metro pass for every employee. Although we trust that you can do amazing work remote or from your home office, this is an in-house only position.