Manager of EventsEmployer: Central City Association
Job Location: Los Angeles, CA 90017
DIRECTOR OF EVENTS
Through advocacy, influence and engagement, Central City Association (CCA) enhances Downtown's vibrancy and increases investment in the region. Since our founding in 1924, we have produced meaningful results for our members, Downtown and the greater Los Angeles region. We represent the interests of 400 businesses, trade associations and nonprofits that together employ more than 350,000 people in the County. We are one of the most effective conveners for the community and help to bridge the private sector with the public sector. We provide a high-level of service to our membership, which includes policy advocacy, access to thought-leaders, networking at CCA events, support at public hearings, as well as branding and marketing opportunities.
Our workplace culture is important to us. Candidates should be willing to operate in line with our principles, which include a commitment to:
• CCA’s mission of creating a vibrant, welcoming and sustainable Downtown
• Accountability, reliability, transparency and integrity
• Respect and openness for differing opinions, ways of thinking and feedback
• Innovation, collaboration and adaptability to new circumstances and direction
• Continued growth and a sense of well-being for yourself and for colleagues
• Building & nurturing relationships and creating opportunities with a variety of people
TITLE: Manager of Events
REPORTS TO: Vice President of Strategic Relations
The Manager of Events (ME) is responsible for the development and implementation of events that advance CCA as the leading advocacy organization in the region and bring together CCA’s 400 member organizations. The ME produces 20-30 events each year, convening thousands of thought leaders across the LA region in a variety of formats. Events include monthly luncheons for 80 guests, panel discussion and showcase events for 200 guests, a food tasting summer soiree for 500 guests, a holiday party for 600 guests, and CCA’s annual fundraiser, Treasures of Los Angeles, for 1,000 guests. He/she will play a key role in contributing to the organization’s annual fundraising goal.
GOALS AND DUTIES
- Produce high-quality informational, networking and fundraising events that advance CCA’s brand, membership engagement and cultivation
- Work closely with the Strategic Relations, Public Policy and Public Affairs teams to execute thoughtful, engaging programming that provides value to the CCA membership
- With the Strategic Relations team, help determine and disseminate information about sponsorship packages, as well as support efforts to secure sponsorships, solicit underwriters, and sell tickets
- With appropriate supports, determine the creative direction of all events with décor, furniture rentals, audio/visual, etc.
- Develop content and give creative direction to graphic designer for event collateral materials
- Recruit and coordinate event staff for onsite assistance
- Coordinate with CCA’s lawyers to confirm compliance regarding government officials/employee participation in events
- Coordinate with Office Coordinator for event e-blasts, website copy and event administration
- Coordinate with guest speakers and exhibitors
- Recruit restaurants, breweries and bars for CCA’s annual tasting event
- Develop relationships with DTLA venues and vendors
- Collaborate with the Strategic Relations team to deepen relationships with members and prospects via events
- Assist in the negotiation with venues and vendors (occasionally members) to secure competitive rates
- Develop and maintain budgets, coordinate with our accountant as needed, and prepare analysis and financial reporting for the CCA Board of Directors
- Utilize Accrisoft, CCA’s membership CRM, to keep track of event guests and financials
- Understand and internalize CCA’s mission, policy priorities and membership base in a way that underpins the organization’s approach to events
- 3+ years of experience producing large-scale events
- Demonstrated track record of success; experience in fundraising events is preferred
- A creative design eye with proficiency in InDesign and Photoshop
- Effective utilization of existing vendor contacts and/or ability to research, identify and maintain strategic relationships with vendor contacts
- Proven strong negotiating skills
- Excellent relationship management, diplomacy, good judgement and interpersonal skills
- Professionalism and the ability to liaise with VIPs and elected officials
- Have a positive, can-do attitude
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Outstanding work organization and time management skills to meet internal and external deadlines
- Drive for excellence, detail-oriented and creative problem-solver
- Experience in a CRM such as Accrisoft or Raiser’s Edge
- Familiarity with Excel to utilize formulas, etc. for budget maintenance
- Passionate about Downtown LA and the role of civic engagement to better the LA region
Commensurate with experience
CCA offers its employees a generous benefits package, including health, dental and vision insurance, life insurance, a flexible work environment, and a retirement savings program.
The Manager of Events is a full-time, salaried position. Must be willing to work evenings and be available as needed.
Please email cover letter, resume and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can also apply on LinkedIn here.