VP Communications & MarketingEmployer: Los Angeles Cleantech Incubator (LACI)
Job Location: Downtown Los Angeles
The Los Angeles Cleantech Incubator (LACI) is a private non-profit organization creating an inclusive green economy by unlocking innovation (through working with startups to accelerate the commercialization of clean technologies), transforming markets (through partnerships in transportation, energy and sustainable cities) and enhancing communities (through workforce development, pilots and other programs). Founded as an economic development initiative by the City of Los Angeles and its Department of Water & Power (LADWP), LACI is recognized as one of the most innovative business incubators in the world by UBI. In the past six years, LACI has helped 73 portfolio companies raise $184M in funding, $220M in revenue, create 1,700 jobs, and deliver more than $379M in long term economic value. Learn more at laci.org.
The Vice President of Marketing & Communications will maintain responsibility for the LACI narrative and strategic marketing, earned media and communications plan which aligns to the organization’s strategic priorities. You will work in collaboration with the senior leadership team to develop this narrative against which the organization will execute a variety of communications programs, marketing campaigns, events, and opportunities. A proactive marketing and communications leader, you will inspire and lead a team to work across a variety of mediums. You have proficiency, experience, and comfort with strategic communications, earned media, digital marketing, stakeholder engagement, graphic design, social media, event visioning and execution, and executive counsel. You are equally adept at media relations as you scripting a video or crafting a keynote speech or presentation.
What You’ll Do
- Set and implement LACI’s strategic plan for marketing and communications: Support LACI and its executive leadership team to increase their reputation as a national thought leader in creating an inclusive green economy by: (1) writing opinion editorials, blog posts, vlog scripts, speeches, etc.; (2) drafting white papers and thought leadership pieces; (3) leading strategic communications on LACI’s core programs.
- Oversee the Marketing & Communications team: Oversee the day-to-day activities of the Marketing & Communications team including goal setting, planning and staff development. Vet and liaison with media and video crews filming at La Kretz Innovation Campus
- Communications/Branding/Social Media: Lead content development across LACI’s channels, including website, newsletters, social media, and earned media. Ideate and lead digital recruitment campaigns to support program recruitment and liaise with pillar leads on audience, message, unique selling points and program outcomes
- Tell the story of LACI and the Portfolio Companies: Amplify the successes of all LACI programs — including the startup companies across its multiple tracks of incubation programs, its pilot projects and workforce development programs. Produce and disseminate news releases, speeches, annual reports, presentations, marketing & fundraising materials. Conceptualize and author programmatic marketing materials in consultation with program staff. Act as marketing and communications consultant for LACI Portfolio Companies with select wins to amplify success of PCs and LACI - specifically with major media opportunities
- Manage media strategy and media partners: In the development, execution, and optimization of strategies against target objectives. Actively engage, cultivate, and manage press relationships to ensure coverage surrounding LACI programs, special events, public announcements, and other projects. Serve as a spokesperson and/or point person on media interactions that help promote and/or impact the organization. Manage all large-scale stakeholder outreach, press conference and announcement planning. Write media advisories and press releases, and pitch stories to reporters
- LACI Events: Oversee LACI’s events strategy along with pillar leads to ensure event strategy aligns with organizational goals and delivers LACI’s integrated message.
Why You’re Right for the Job:
- Writing is your thing. You’re an excellent, experienced writer with a track record of producing high- quality, externally-facing content such as articles, speeches, op-eds, blogs, case studies and website content. You know how to synthesize and translate complex information for a broad spectrum of audiences from technologists and engineers, to investors, to entrepreneurs (in a tweetable format, when needed)!
- You’re an earned media expert. You have experience working with top social media platforms and a solid understanding of how and why people use social media. You know how to form meaningful connections across a variety of platforms, and build relationships that continue to grow and amplify the brand and the work.
- You’re focused and flexible. You know what you need to get done, but you’re flexible when priorities change. It doesn’t phase you to work in a fast-paced environment with limited supervision, because you know how to ask questions and get the information you need to get the job done. You can also flex between independent work and teamwork.
- Your attention to detail is next to none. A typo is not getting past you! (Okay, no one’s perfect - but it’s rare.) Your organization and time management skills are excellent. Sometimes, you’re even amazed at how many balls you can juggle (#humblebrag).
- You enjoy equipping and empowering others. In managing your own team and being part of the larger LACI community, your goal is the same: equip and empower staff, portfolio companies, and community members to succeed in their roles and goals. You are confident you can create the messaging toolkits and training for people to act as ambassadors of LACI and further our mission.
Basically, we want to know you can get the job done. This means you have:
- 15+ years of experience working in progressive roles with a combination of marketing, public relations and communications environments
- 10+ years communications background, preferably in non-profit, impact investing, corporate communications, public relations, start-ups, sustainability, cleantech, social impact or related sector
- Experience with digital and data-focused marketing with a record of success in developing relevant digital strategies and leveraging platforms to build a brand
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills
- The ability to lead and inspire creative, marketing, events, and social media team members and content creators to achieve organizational goals
- Strong management skills, including the ability to manage up/down/across an organization to align messaging across channels
- Team player with ability to work collaboratively with a variety of departments
- Thorough understanding of the media landscape, especially in Los Angeles and California
- Experience directly interfacing with high-level executives and other external audiences
- Passionate about LACI's mission and able to promote and communicate to stakeholders
This is a full-time position, starting immediately. LACI operates out of the La Kretz Innovation Campus, in the bustling Downtown LA Arts District. Since we are rapidly growing, you will be getting in on the ground floor at LACI, with the opportunity to evolve with us and shape your future here.
In addition to working on a campus with other innovators, we offer industry competitive benefits including: paid holidays, vacation/sick time, 401(k) plan, and paid parking. We also support alternative transportation with a metro pass for every employee. Although we trust that you can do amazing work remote or from your home office, this is an in-house only position.