Manager, Transportation Electrification Partnership (Policy and Pilots)Employer: Los Angeles Cleantech Incubator (LACI)
Job Location: Downtown Los Angeles
The Los Angeles Cleantech Incubator (LACI) is a private non-profit organization creating an inclusive green economy by unlocking innovation (through working with startups to accelerate the commercialization of clean technologies), transforming markets (through partnerships in transportation, energy and sustainable cities) and enhancing communities (through workforce development, pilots and other programs). Founded as an economic development initiative by the City of Los Angeles and its Department of Water & Power (LADWP), LACI is recognized as one of the most innovative business incubators in the world by UBI. In the past six years, LACI has helped 73 portfolio companies raise $184M in funding, $220M in revenue, create 1,700 jobs, and deliver more than $379M in long term economic value. Learn more at laci.org.
LACI’s Transportation Electrification Partnership, formed by LACI in May 2018, is an unprecedented multi-year partnership among local, regional and state stakeholders to accelerate progress towards transportation electrification and zero emissions goods movement in the Greater LA region in advance of the 2028 Olympic and Paralympic Games.
Our region is a gateway for goods entering California and the nation as a whole, with forty percent of all the containerized goods that enter the U.S. traveling through the Ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach. A thoughtful and comprehensive approach to commercial fleet electrification will be essential to achieving the region’s economic, environmental and public health goals. As such, LACI and our Partnership have established aggressive goods movement goals for LA County, as detailed in our Zero Emissions 2028 Roadmap 2.0.
This Manager will be responsible for advancing progress towards achieving these specific goals via policies and pilot projects.
What You’ll Do
- Track and analyze goods movement policy options: Research policy options at local, regional and state levels.
- Work with Partnership members: Create and advance goods movement policy options at the local, regional and state levels.
- Prepare content and materials: Present for monthly Partnership’s Goods Movement Working Group meetings.
- Participate in and track related technology, policy and funding developments: Via the San Pedro Bay Ports’ Clean Air Action Plan, Metro’s Goods Movement Working Group, California Air Resources Board.
- Connect and network: Link drayage fleet operators to Partnership's Good Movements work
Why You’re Right for the Job
- You understand the ins and outs of goods movement. You see technology as a way to improve goods movement not just in Los Angeles, but the entire country. You can easily dive into logistics and are able to problem-solve where organizations can be more efficient.
- You’re ambitious and driven. This comes primarily from your desire to create meaningful change through your work. Due to this inner drive, you have a tendency to take projects further, faster, and you’re willing to go above and beyond to get the job done well.
- You care about the details. It doesn’t intimidate you to be responsible for planning multiple meetings with multiple stakeholders, while juggling multiple research, process and content projects. That’s a lot of “multiples”, but your organizational skills and strategies will set you up for success.
- You’re a curious person. This curiosity shows up in your listening skills, your interactions with people, your love of research, and your willingness to ask questions. If you don’t know the answer to something, you’re not afraid to admit it and continue searching until you find it.
- Learning about TEP excites you. You’re not just looking for any Transportation role. You’re applying because you’re passionate about climate change. The idea of being a part of something that could make an impact on the LA region and set precedent across the country is a key motivator.
Basically, we want to know you can get the job done. This means you have:
- BA/BS degree required
- Relevant experience in the goods movement sector and an understanding of the technology landscape for zero emissions vehicles and infrastructure
- Strong project management, organization, communication, and problem solving skills
- Strong research and analytical skills
- Proficiency in Google Docs and Microsoft Office in word processing and presentation/slides
- Understanding of goods movement policy issues at the city, regional and state levels
- Knowledge of drayage fleet operators
This is a full-time position, starting immediately. LACI operates out of the La Kretz Innovation Campus, in the bustling Downtown LA Arts District. Since we are rapidly growing, you will be getting in on the ground floor at LACI, with the opportunity to evolve with us and shape your future here.
In addition to working on a campus with other innovators, we offer industry competitive benefits including: paid holidays, vacation/sick time, 401(k) plan, and paid parking. We also support alternative transportation with a metro pass for every employee. Although we trust that you can do amazing work remote or from your home office, this is an in-house only position.